Jul 7, 2011

A Lesson in Impermanence

Art done directly on gallery walls are amazing. They are almost always huge, spectacular, but unfortunately, are painted over to make way for the next show. In June we hosted Weapons of Mass Creation and one of the speakers and artists was Dan Christofferson who created a piece directly on one of our walls. He worked for two days and created this:

I love this piece. The colors, the lines, and who doesn't have a soft spot for wolves? Our next show, NEO-Renaissance, opens Friday, July 22 and I avoided painting over Dan's piece with the hopes it could fit right into the show! But there are other plans for this wall... so... it had to be painted over. I stalled. And stalled some more. Then I went to our back office and did some research I've been meaning to do. And every now and then I peaked out of the office and there he was, looking at me. I didn't want to do it, but I had no choice.



:(

There are many things in this world we can't avoid: death, illness, decay, and painting over art done on gallery walls. We can learn to not become attached to things yet appreciate them while we still have them around. Sentimental? Perhaps. But wolves just make me that way.

~ Linda

Please check out Dan's more permanent and fabulous work at Bee Teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment